My 53 favorite quotes from GrowthCon
Mar 02, 2023
Recently Barbara and I attended GrowthCon, a business and leadership conference in Las Vegas. It was a different environment than the conferences I usually attend, but the guests and speakers were first-class.
I try to make every environment I am in an opportunity for growth. This was no different. I took lots of notes and had several personal applications to take with me. I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes with you. Here are 53 of my favorite ones.
- On marriage: Figure out your roles, stop fighting, support each other, and win at life.
- Financial defensiveness is contrary to possibility.
- Getting on the right side of change is important.
- You cannot change your circumstances before you first change yourself.
- If you turn your power over to someone else, they will always define you as less than they are.
- The value you give yourself is directly related to the value that other people will give you.
- Poverty is having no vision of who you can be.
- WE leadership before ME leadership.
- Get involved in things that interest you and others.
- Be passionate about the business you own.
- It never seems extraordinary until you look back.
- You need to have constant forward momentum.
- You cannot be successful in life without investing in yourself.
- You can’t be extraordinary unless you are in the right field.
- Salary is capped by the job you do. Salary is limited to what people will pay you for the job. Entrepreneurship is capped by the way you serve others.
- Your first investment should be in yourself.
- Invest in things that give you a return.
- If you are hard on yourself, life becomes easier.
- You can be great at anything but can’t be great at everything.
- No one wants to be left out.
- Learn to thrive in criticism.
- Align with the right people.
- Run toward the danger and away from safety.
- Great leaders have a divine discontentment. It is what drives them to the next thing.
- Fail fast. Learn fast. Keep iterating.
Stephen A. Smith
- Great people have a chip on their shoulder, but don’t wear their feelings on their sleeve.
- Ignorant and arrogant is the worst combination.
- No boss wants to listen to someone that only brings complaints.
- There is no wealth without health.
Joe De Sana
- I have found that fire, ready, aim works best for me. Build the plane while you are taking off.
- When you do difficult things with clients, you build the strongest relationships. It is like going to war.
Sarah Blakely and Jesse Itzler
- Learn to let things go that are less than a 7 on a scale of 1-10.
- You have to be on the same page with values.
- Don’t give up what you have chasing what you want.
- Have rotating dinner guests with your children and force them to ask questions.
- When a child says something negative about one of their siblings, have them say three positive things about them before they can move on.
- Aim high for your children.
- I’m never too tired for my children.
- Success comes from doing the work.
- There is a difference in taking a check to endorse something and actually owning it.
- Know the purpose of money in your life.
- The best part of winning is doing it with other people
- Timing is everything. Know when to transition.
- Always over-deliver. It builds respect and brings the greatest return.
- Don’t be naive about the challenges of being great.
- Do better with the opportunities you get.
- What happens when you fail? Losses made me, not wins.
- Get rid of the toxic players, and the team is immediately better.
- Nature is what you are born with. Nurture is what you do with it.
- Don’t be afraid to reinvest.
- Big things attract big people.
- Stop trying to make things better that should be gotten rid of.
- The money is being the owner/investor, not in being the boss.